Friday, October 29

The Flowers Woman by Sofia Sandor

The flowers woman

(Based on the umbrella man by R. Dahl)

I was walking towards school when a young woman appeared in front of me and asked me if I could give her some money and in return she could give me a flower. She was hungry and she didn’t have any food to eat. I offered a sandwich that I had in my school bag, but she didn’t like it, she wanted to buy another kind of food. I had two pounds so I gave them to her, and though I didn’t want the flowers, I took them all the same.
Later that day, I went to school and I saw my friends. One of them told me that she was walking to school when a young woman approached her and asked her for money.
-Oh! The same happened to me! - I interrupted Jane, my best friend, when she was finishing the story.
- Wait! I haven’t finished telling you! She offered me some horrible flowers in return- she laughed.
I told her that she had offered me flowers too. “Perhaps she couldn’t buy anything with the two pounds I gave her, so she wanted more money to buy the food she wanted,” I thought.
“But she had more flowers, where had she taken them from?” I wondered.
When Jane and I were going back to our houses, we saw the woman talking to a person.
She took a flower from a bag and gave it to her.
That was strange, the same woman asking for money. For the money I had given her plus Jane’s was enough to buy a lot of food, whatever she wanted.
We suspected she was doing some kind of illegal thing, so we decided to spy on her. When the person who was with her went away, she crossed the street in a rush. We followed her. Some minutes later she disappeared. We wanted to know where she was going, so we looked for her.
After some time, we were tired and hungry and wanted to go home, but finally we found her. She was trying to steal some flowers from a man who was selling them. We saw that when the man was talking to some customer, the young woman stole the flowers that were behind him and put them in her own bag.
With the new flowers she ran across the pavement and we ran too. Some minutes later she was asking for money with the flowers in return. We stayed there, hiding behind a tree, all the evening. When the young woman had finished asking for money she went towards a shoe-shop. We saw her going in it.
With all the money she had earned she bought the most expensive shoes! The ones I had always wanted to buy! They were beautiful.
She went out with a big smile. -I’ve made it, now I have the best pair of shoes in the world-

No comments: